Multi Commodity Exchange of India Ltd (MCX) is an independent commodity exchange based in India. It was established in 2003 and is based in Mumbai. MCX offers futures trading in bullion, ferrous and non-ferrous metals, energy, and a number of agricultural commodities such as mentha oil, cardamom, potatoes, palm oil and others.
- MCX is India's No. 1 commodity exchange with 83% market share in 2009
- The exchange's main competitor is National Commodity & Derivatives Exchange Ltd.
- Globally, MCX ranks no. 1 in silver, no. 2 in natural gas, no. 3 in crude oil and gold in futures trading.
- The highest traded item is gold.
- MCX has several strategic alliances with leading exchanges across the globe.
- MCX now reaches out to about 800 cities and towns in India with the help of about 126,000 trading terminals
- MCX COMDEX is India's first and only composite commodity futures price index.